An e-mail whitelist is a list of contacts that the user deems to be acceptable to receive e-mails from. Such e-mails will not be sent to the trash folder.
Spam filters that come with e-mail clients have both whitelists and blacklists of senders and keywords to look for in the relevant e-mails. If a spam filter keeps a whitelist, mail from the listed e-mail addresses, domains, and/or IP address will always be allowed.
Some internet service providers have whitelists that they use to filter e-mails to be delivered to their customers.
E-mail whitelist is important to avoid important emails being sent into the SPAM or the Trash folder. And hence, its important to tell your mail program that it is not spam by hitting the “not spam,” “not junk” or a similar button, as that will train your program to whitelist it.
Here are different mail programs and steps of whitelisting an e-mail address:
- On the Tools menu, click Options;
- On the Preferences tab, click Junk E-mail;
- On the Safe Senders tab, click Add;
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org to the ‘Add address’ space;
- Click OK.
Apple Mail for OS X
Firstly, if an e-mail from email@example.com ends up in your junk folder, highlight or open it and click ‘Not Junk’ or ‘not spam’ at the top of your screen. Now follow the steps mentioned below:
- From the menu, Go to Mail > Preferences;
- Go to the Rules tab;
- Select Add Rule;
- Give this rule a name such as “Simply Hired”;
- Create a rule that says “If any of the following conditions are met: ‘From’ ‘Contains'” and then paste in “firstname.lastname@example.org”;
- From the actions, select ‘Move message’ to mailbox ‘Inbox’;
- Click OK.
- Firstly, if you find e-mail from us in your Gmail’s spam folder, select our e-mail and click on the ‘Not Spam’ button;
- Next, open an email that you have received from us;
- Click on the little down-pointing-triangle-arrow next to ‘Reply’;
- Click on ‘Add Simply Hired to Contacts list.’
To whitelist our address with Hotmail, you will need to add email@example.com to your Hotmail Safe List. Here’s how:
- Firstly, if you find email from us in your Hotmail’s junk folder, open the email and click on ‘Not Junk’;
- Next, check to see if if the email address firstname.lastname@example.org is on your Blocked Senders list. If you find email@example.com on your Hotmail blocked senders list, select it and click on the ‘Remove’ button;
- Next, open your mailbox and click on ‘Options’ in the upper right hand corner;
- At the top of the page, click on the “Junk E-mail Protection” link;
- Next, click on ‘Safe List,’ which at the bottom of the page;
- Copy and paste firstname.lastname@example.org where it says ‘Type an address or domain’;
- Click the ‘Add’ button.
To whitelist email@example.com with Yahoo!, you will need to set up a “filter” after first taking the following steps:
If you find that e-mails from firstname.lastname@example.org is going to your Yahoo! bulk folder, open it and click ‘Not Spam.’ Make sure that the address email@example.com is not in your ‘Blocked Addresses’ list. If firstname.lastname@example.org is on your ‘Blocked Addresses’ list, select it and click on ‘Remove Block’
Now, to create the filter:
- Open your mail and click on ‘Mail Options’ in the upper right hand corner;
- Select ‘Filters’ (in the bottom left corner);
- On the Filters page, click on ‘Add’;
- Select the ‘From header:’ rule, and add ‘contains’ and email@example.com, which tells the system to put e-mail with firstname.lastname@example.org in your inbox and not the bulk folder;
- Click the ‘Choose Folder’ pull down menu and select ‘Inbox’;
- Pick the ‘Add Filter’ button.
To add email@example.com to your AOL address book:
- Open an email from us and then click on ‘This Is Not Spam’ button;
- Click the Mail menu and select Address Book;
- Wait for the Address Book window to pop up, then click on the ‘Add’ button;
- Wait for the Address Card for New Contact window to load;
- Paste firstname.lastname@example.org into the ‘Other E-Mails’ field;
- Make our ‘From’ address, email@example.com, the primary e-mail address by checking the appropriate box;
- Click on ‘Save.’